It is estimated that up to 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster, such as fire and flood never reopen! Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place.
Are you “Ready for whatever happens?”
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Plan serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
By working with SERVPRO to develop your personalized Emergency READY Plan your business will receive the benefit of over 30 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response for the greater LA area and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call our office at (818) 842-1400 to learn more on how to set up this profile for your facility and get prepared before disaster strikes!
Preventing a Fire in Your Home
How to prevent fires at home
Most people know the basics of fire safety at home, such as not leaving burning candles unattended and keeping a fire extinguisher on hand. Here are a few more things you can do to prevent fires at home.
- Have your heating system serviced regularly by a professional, including chimneys from wood-burning fireplaces. Clean around heat sources and keep dust and other flammable items away from ignition sources.
- Remove the lint from your dryer filter after every use. A clogged filter and lint trap makes your dryer less efficient, reduces the airflow needed to keep heat from building up in the vents, and forces lint onto the heating coils. Also, never let your dryer run when you are out of the house or when you’re asleep.
- Keep firewood, piles of leaves and trash away from the home. If a grass fire starts nearby, these items next to your home could easily become kindling. Never dump hot ashes inside or near your home; keep them in a metal container well away from your house and garage.
- Avoid using outlet extenders or plug-in power bars: they can quickly overload an electrical circuit. Replace old, damaged or frayed appliance cords, and never force a three-pronged plug into a two-slot outlet or extension cord.
- Store containers of cooking oil well away from the stove. When cooking with oil, never leave the stove unattended. To stop a grease fire, turn off the burner and place a lid on the pan to suffocate the flames, or pour on lots of baking soda. Never pour water on a grease fire or try to carry the pan outside; water splatters the grease and makes the fire bigger, and the pan will be much too hot to carry.
- Consider using borrowed heat to keep outdoor pets warm. During winter months, avoid using heat lamps, solar lamps, trouble lights, heated watering bowls or other such heated devices, which could lead to a potential fire. Borrowed heat involves providing warmth from a heating system located in a separate building. If this isn’t possible, consider bringing your pets inside.
- Be sure to properly extinguish smoking materials. Smoking materials that are not properly extinguished can smoulder undetected for days before igniting a fire. Never discard smoking materials on the ground or in plant pots.
info provided by https://www.cooperators.ca/en/Answer-Centre/how-can-i-be-safe-and-prepared/home/five-best-ways-to-prevent-fires-in-home.aspx
SERVPRO Storm Team
As wildfires and major storms roll out, watch SERVPRO's Storm Teams roll in.
SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale is part of a network of over 1,800 restoration specialists, stretching throughout the United States as well as Canada – strategically stationed to be available for whatever happens at a moment’s notice. When things that matter most are on the line, make sure SERVPRO® is too. SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale is faster to any size disaster.
Should a storm or natural disaster situation strike the greater Los Angeles area, our office will notify local and surrounding SERVPRO locations. And as we begin to provide relief to homes and businesses alike, hundreds if not thousands of highly-trained SERVPRO professionals will start to pour into the disaster zone and provide back up and support to our already existing restoration efforts. Whether it’s damage caused by a leaky water pipe or an earthquake of catastrophic magnitudes, there’s no such thing as a job too big that SERVPRO can’t handle!
The days immediately following a major storm event, such as area-wide flooding, are critical to prevent secondary damages, like mold. SERVPRO suggests the following steps to help minimize additional damage to your property.
- If the water has entered the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health. Avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Throw away all foods - even canned goods - that have come into contact with flood waters.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
"The first 24 hours after a water damage or floor are so crucial to keeping final costs of the damage down," said Don Turner, Director of SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Team. "A lot of flood situations require professional equipment and knowledge of the science of drying to mitigate. By taking these steps, property owners can help minimize damage until the professionals arrive."
The Mold Experts!
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
· Stay out of affected areas.
· Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
· Contact SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
· Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
· Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
· Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
· Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale specializes in mold cleanup and restoration; in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (818) 842-1400
Why SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale?
Here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale, our team works very hard, night and day to make any disaster “Like it never even happened." Our crews are actively preparing, training and planning for any disaster that may strike next. SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale is not only an IICRC-WRT certified firm but each of our crew chiefs are certified and ready to go 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
In addition, our owners oversee and train over a dozen Los Angeles County and San Gabriel Valley Franchises. With over thirty years in the industry, our owners here are looked to as an example of what a restoration company should be. Not to mention them being SERVPRO Trainer of the year in 2012. Their reputation along with excellent service has most certainly set them apart from the mold.
Because Mold Exists
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
· Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
· Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
· Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
· Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
· Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
· Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (818) 842-1400
Here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale, we not only specialize in restoration and cleanup services, but we also love to participate and give back to our community.
Every fall, we partner up with the San Fernando Rescue Mission's Thanksgiving Dinner. Most recently, we collected over twenty-six hundred rolls for the dinner. It's always a blessing knowing that these families will be well fed on a day of thanks and love.
Additionally, Jenn of our marketing team volunteers at the CAI-GLAC's outreach committee. Some of the projects she has contributied to include the Spark of Love Toy Drive, Tree People - environment cleanup, SCV Single Mother's Outreach and much more. Knowing that our team members have a heart and passion for the community only further solidify the integrity of SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale.
The IICRC Standard
Here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale, all of our crew chiefs are certified Water Damage Restoration Technicians. Management staff are certified in Applied Structural Drying. We are a certified IICRC firm also. There is a standard for the industry and we follow it closely. We strive to be experts on the standard and SERVPRO stands out from our competition because of the amount of effort we put into training and development in field expertise.
What exactly is the IICRC?
The IICRC is the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, a non-profit organization for the cleaning and restoration industry. It's main purpose is to establish and advance globally recognized standards and certifications for the inspection, cleaning, restoration and installation industries.
When using SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale you can rest assured that we hold ourselves accountable to the IICRC standards. For more information on the IICRC visit the link below!
The Rains are Here
The Heavy Rains have hit Southern California! Here are some tips for your home and the rainy weather!
Tip #1: Check those gutters! This can be a simple but very effective way to prevent unwanted water from entering your home or business. Gutters that are clogged with debris from overhanging trees, trash, or roofing materials can easily clog the drain and shuffle unwanted water your way.
Tip #2: Tarp up any unfinished roofing projects. Going along with our first tip, small openings in the roof of your home and business can quickly become large openings with heavy rain, causing water damage inside your building. Make sure to give your local roofing company a call and get those potential problem areas patched up ASAP.
Tip #3: Examine your window glaze and compound. Often times, glazing compound can shrink during the warmer months, making windows more susceptible to unwanted rain water penetration. Your local contractor can help patch this up for you, ensuring that you are set and ready for even the heaviest of rains! Another helpful tip… make sure you close your windows before going to bed or leaving the home!
And finally, Tip #4 (the most important!): Should you find yourself in a situation where you do have a water damage emergency, call SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale. Our staff is prepped and ready to respond and help make your rain disaster,"Like it never even happened."
Choose SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale
Have you ever had a bad or unpleasant experience with a company? We can assure you that will not be the case with SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale. In times of disaster and crisis, it is crucially important to choose a company who will not only get the job done, but look after the client as well.
The SERVPRO team is always ready to make any disaster "Like it never even happened." With specialized training, our technicians are well prepared to handle water damage, fire damage, mold remediation, bio-hazard cleanup and much more. Along with the expertise, here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale you can expect professionalism along with kindness and courtesy.
SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale is not only an IICRC-WRT certified firm but each of our crew chiefs are certified and ready to go 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Call us here at (818) 842-1400.