It is estimated that up to 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster, such as fire and flood never reopen! Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place.
Are you “Ready for whatever happens?”
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Plan serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
By working with SERVPRO to develop your personalized Emergency READY Plan your business will receive the benefit of over 30 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response for the greater LA area and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call our office at (818) 842-1400 to learn more on how to set up this profile for your facility and get prepared before disaster strikes!
Here is a brief summary of one of our most technologically savvy and futuristic looking tools of our SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale tool belt. The Hydroxyl Generator (or more commonly known as ‘Titan’) is one of the most scientifically-advanced pieces of equipment we use to combat malodors and leave a property deodorized following biohazard, fire or water damage events.
The main benefit of using a true hydroxyl generator is that they are safe to use in occupied areas for deodorization purposes. For insurance companies and commercial businesses alike, they love this machine because it means less out of pocket expenses and henceforth, less business disruption!
These generators have been successfully tested on fires and other restoration and bio jobs, including protein fires, floods, dead body situations, skunk odors, pet urine odors, musty odors and many types of odors. However, it’s important to note that hydroxyl generators are not intended for use on mold remediation jobs where there is a large infestation on surfaces or behind walls. The established protocols should always be followed in these instances. But generators with good filtration are excellent for airborne microbial remediation where bacteria or fungi have become aerosolized.
Here’s a rundown of some additional facts in order to give you the inside scoop, should you ever need to reach out to us for smoke/soot deodorization needs:
When to Use:
- When odors, gases and organic pollutants are needed to be remediated
How it Works:
- UVA rays are emitted from the titanium dioxide photocatalytic lamps (wow, that was a mouthful) where they then pass through a permanent anatase coated super reactor screen, forming electron hole pairs that react with water and oxygen in the air to form free electrons and hydroxyl radicals that then decompose and eliminate organic and inorganic gases and air pollutants. Wow, trying saying all that in one breath!
- Use on fire and flood damage restoration jobs
- Use to destroy odors from cigarette smoke, dead body, urine, garbage, airborne VOCs and more
- Always remove the source of the odor before operation
- For optimum performance, a 60%+ humidity level is best. If needed, place a bucket of water or a wet towel behind the machine to allow more moisture to be pulled into the air stream.
- Use air movers to circulate the air for thorough air cleaning.
- Although purifying an area depends on many variables, a general time guide for purifying a 1,000 cubic foot area with light to moderator odor is 1 to 3 hours.
As always, if you want to learn more about any of our SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale pieces of restoration hardware, feel free to reach out. We have helpful staff willing to explain further any of our services – (818) 790-2021.
Be Prepared For A Storm
We Are Open 24/7!
When a storm hits, sometimes it takes you by surprise. You may not have the immediate chance to grab what you need or even have it on hand at all. That is why it is so important to have a Storm Supply Kit ready to go.
A Storm Supply Kit could be described as a pre-chosen group of supplies that could assist with health and safety during or after a storm or disaster.
It would be ideal to keep a Storm Supply Kit at home, work , and in your vehicle.
Here are some supplies to keep in your kit:
1. Medications needed
2. first aid kit with instructions
4. cash and important documents
5. food for several days
6. water for several days
7. clothing and shoes
8. pocket knife with tools attached
9. Sanitation wipes and hygiene products.
SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale is faster to any size disaster!
Basement Flood In Long Beach
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Crescenta Valley/East Glendale basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today – (818) 842-1400
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley/East Glendale and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days a week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (818) 842-1400
SERVPRO Storm Team
As wildfires and major storms roll out, watch SERVPRO's Storm Teams roll in.
SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley/East Glendale is part of a network of over 1,800 restoration specialists, stretching throughout the United States as well as Canada – strategically stationed to be available for whatever happens at a moment’s notice. When things that matter most are on the line, make sure SERVPRO® is too. SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley/East Glendale is faster to any size disaster.
Should a storm or natural disaster situation strike the greater Los Angeles area, our office will notify local and surrounding SERVPRO locations. And as we begin to provide relief to homes and businesses alike, hundreds if not thousands of highly-trained SERVPRO professionals will start to pour into the disaster zone and provide backup and support to our already existing restoration efforts. Whether it’s damage caused by a leaky water pipe or an earthquake of catastrophic magnitudes, there’s no such thing as a job too big that SERVPRO can’t handle!
The days immediately following a major storm event, such as area-wide flooding, are critical to prevent secondary damages, like mold. SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley/East Glendale suggests the following steps to help minimize additional damage to your property.
- If the water has entered the structure through the flooding of a creek, stream or river, or if it has filtered through insulation during its intrusion, it is considered to be black water and could be hazardous to your health. Avoid contact with contaminated items as much as possible.
- Take the greatest caution while entering your home, and wear sturdy shoes and protective clothing when dealing with flooded areas.
- Do not attempt to operate any electrical equipment while standing in wet or damp locations.
- Throw away all foods - even canned goods - that have come into contact with flood waters.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and pillow cushions for drying. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Place fans at 45-degree angles to walls and move large furniture away from walls to create the best air circulation.
- If your home has a crawlspace, be aware excess moisture in this area can often foster mold growth.
"The first 24 hours after a water damage or flood are so crucial to keeping final costs of the damage down," said Don Turner, Director of SERVPRO’s Disaster Recovery Team. "A lot of flood situations require professional equipment and knowledge of the science of drying to mitigate. By taking these steps, property owners can help minimize damage until the professionals arrive."
What is Efflorescence? The average homeowner and building manager comes across this all the time as it is a pretty common occurrence. Yet, understanding the cause of Efflorescence can be easier said than done. Allow us to unpack this subject a little more.
By definition, efflorescence is the formation of salt on the surface of porous materials (concrete, brick or plaster). Water in and of itself can be the carrier of parts of salt. In addition to this, porous materials often already have traces of salt from within. Now, once water travels through said materials, it often leaves behind traces of these salts or combines with pre-existing levels of salts. The sodium next migrates to the material's surface through the process of water evaporating. What you have left is crystallized salt on the surface – which often gets mistaken for mold!
- Efflorescence can occur in natural as well as developed environments. The effect often looks cosmetic but what it’s communicating is that water intrusion has/is occurring and needs to be addressed. It is important to note that over time this process can weaken structures and also lead to additional damage if not taken care of properly.
- Efflorescence can be removed with the application of various phosphoric acids, followed by a thorough rinsing of water. However, if the source of the water penetration is not taken care of, efflorescence may continue to occur. Contact your local contractor to help seal and strengthen your structure by creating vapor-permeable barriers to your porous materials - often attained through applying hydro-phobic sealers to keep the water out of your porous materials.
Hopefully next time you see some of this ‘puffy white snow’ (as our customers often describe it over the phone) coming out of your home or office - you can help diagnose the problem and prevent further damage.
What’s an Air Mover?
Air movers (aka “industrial air blowers”, “commercial blower fans” or “floor drying fans”) are used in construction and water restoration projects, having a wide variety of industrial applications. Their primarily used to increase air circulation, which speeds up water evaporation and reduces drying time. Compressed air is also used to maximize airflow in a blower fan or air mover.
Air movers are an essential tool when mitigation services are needed due to water damage or restoring flood or disaster damage. Some advantages of drying a building with the use of air movers are as follows:
- Low power draw
- High velocity, making them ideal for cooling and ventilation purposes
- Reduces water damage dry out time to carpets and floors, as well as wall cavities behind drywall
- Dries concrete and paint
- Removing fumes or gases from a workspace
TYPES OF AIR MOVER UNITS
The type of air blower affects the speed and direction of airflow and the amount of space that can be covered by the air mover. There are three major types of air blower units used in most commercial dry out scenarios:
- Axial: Axial blowers are designed to move large amounts of air across a wide space. These tend to be larger air movers that produce high airflow. Unlike centrifugal air movers, which can direct air in several directions, axial air movers only move air horizontally. They’re ideal for drying walls or top-down drying treatments on carpets. They’re sometimes used for ventilation and equipment cooling.
- Centrifugal: This type offers a more compact air mover designed for spot treatments. Centrifugal air movers draw air from several sources and direct it to a particular spot. They are often used in restoration work to dry hard to reach areas like under cabinets and in crawl spaces and closets. Most centrifugal air movers can be adjusted to provide airflow at a few different angles. Centrifugal blowers are heavy-duty air movers that produce lower CFM than axial air movers.
- Compact: Compact air movers are versatile enough to be used for both large floor areas and small spot drying. With 1/4 horsepower motors, they still have the power to quickly and effectively dry areas, while also being quieter than centrifugal air movers and taking up less space. Small and lightweight, compact air movers are the perfect solution for drying small, hard-to-reach spaces such as closets, corners or under counters.
We at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale will always assess each water damage situation independently and if our highly trained IICRC certified technicians determine that air movers are a necessary step to speed up the drying process, we have all the resources needed to help make it "Like it never even happened."®
We sincerely hope these unfortunate situations never happen but if they do we are standing by 24/7 and can be reached at (818) 842-1400.
SERVPRO Crescenta Valley/East Glendale IICRC
Here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale, all of our crew chiefs are certified Water Damage Restoration Technicians. Management staff are certified in Applied Structural Drying. We are a certified IICRC firm also. There is a standard for the industry and we follow it closely. We strive to be experts on the standard and SERVPRO stands out from our competition because of the amount of effort we put into training and development in field expertise.
What exactly is the IICRC?
The IICRC is the Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification, a non-profit organization for the cleaning and restoration industry. It's main purpose is to establish and advance globally recognized standards and certifications for the inspection, cleaning, restoration and installation industries.
When using SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale you can rest assured that we hold ourselves accountable to the IICRC standards. For more information on the IICRC visit the link below!
Mold on wall
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
· Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
· Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
· Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
· Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
· Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
· Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (818) 842-1400
SERVPRO Crescenta Valley/East Glendale Serves
Here at SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale, we not only specialize in restoration and cleanup services, but we also love to participate and give back to our community.
Every fall, we partner up with the San Fernando Rescue Mission's Thanksgiving Dinner. Most recently, we collected over twenty-six hundred rolls for the dinner. It's always a blessing knowing that these families will be well fed on a day of thanks and love.
Additionally, Jenn of our marketing team volunteers at the CAI-GLAC's outreach committee. Some of the projects she has contributied to include the Spark of Love Toy Drive, Tree People - environment cleanup, SCV Single Mother's Outreach and much more. Knowing that our team members have a heart and passion for the community only further solidify the integrity of SERVPRO of Crescenta Valley / East Glendale.